Installing the AD DS Role
- Open the Server Manager and click “Add roles and features.”
- Select “Role-based or feature-based installation” on the “Installation Type” page.
- Choose the server on which you want to install the AD DS role and click “Next.”
- Check the box next to “Active Directory Domain Services” on the “Server Roles” page.
- Select any additional features on the “Features” page, then click “Next.”
Promoting the Server to a Domain Controller
- Go to the Server Manager and click “Promote this server to a domain controller.”
- On the “Deployment Configuration” page, select “Add a new forest” and enter the root domain name.
- Enter the DSRM password and any other necessary options on the “Domain Controller Options” page.
- Choose to install DNS on the server, if desired, on the “DNS Options” page.
- Select any additional options, such as AD DS replication or additional domain controllers, on the “Additional Options” page.
- Specify the locations for the AD DS database, log files, and SYSVOL folder on the “Paths” page.
- Review your selections on the “Review Options” page and click “Install.”
Managing the Domain
- After the installation is complete, use the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in to manage your domain.
- Create users, groups, and other objects as needed.